|Ancient Samurai Armor | by williamcho|
No fear. There should be nothing in this life that you are afraid of. If there is, you might need to overcome that fear. Here I have to confess to a certain fear of heights. Recently, owing to leaky rain gutters, I had to crawl out on our roof. I gritted my teeth and kept repeating, "No fear, no fear", until the job was done. Oh yes, and of course I didn't look down. Whatever your fear, face it head on and defeat it.
No surprise. Life seems to be full of them. You're going along swimmingly and suddenly something huge rears up ahead of you. But if you look carefully, there were clues all along the way that it was going to happen. So why does life seem to surprise us then? Because we are asleep half the time. Wake up and nothing can sneak up on you.
No hesitation. Weigh up the odds and then just get on with it. If you spend too long thinking, the opportunity will have passed. Once we have looked at the options, we make a choice; then, go for it. No hesitation means not waiting around for other people to help out or make up our minds for us. No hesitation means if there is a certain inevitability about a situation then just throw yourself in, head first, and enjoy the ride. If there is nothing to be done then waiting doesn't help.
READING COMPREHENSION1.- Are the following statements TRUE or FALSE? Copy the evidence from the text. No marks are given only TRUE or FALSE.
- a. The title's recommendation is an old oriental proverb.
- b. Life usually gives you indications about what might arise.
- What does the text recommend people to do in order to get rid of fear? PAR.2
- Why is it not a good idea to spend too much time wondering what to choose in life? Give at least two reasons. PAR.4
- enormous (paragraph 3): huge
- take place (paragraph 3): happen
- vanished (paragraph 4): passed
- considered (paragraph 4): weigh up
USE OF ENGLISH4.- Complete the following sentences. Use the appropriate form of the word in brackets when given.
- Thirty years ago,scientists began (begin) to study the link between fear of heights and other phobias.
- “How often do you go up and clean your roof?” “I usually do it once a month”.
- If you have (have) a vertigo attack in a hot air balloon, focus (focus) on personal psychology.
- All aspects of human behavior are explained / can be explained / have been explained / will be explained / should be explained (explain) with clarity and precision.
PRODUCTION5.- Write about 100 to 150 words on the following topic.
- What are you most afraid of? Explain why.