People in Britain now spend more time watching TV, gaming, and using their mobile phones and computers than they do sleeping. Research by a British communications agency found that the average UK adult uses technology for eight hours and 41 minutes a day, 20 minutes longer than they spend sleeping. One of the biggest reasons for this is Wi-Fi. People can get online almost anywhere, so they spend more time online. Nowadays, it is very common that people make telephone calls or surf the web while watching television.
The study, which examined the use of technology by different age groups, also found that six-year-olds understand how to use gadgets such as tablets and mobile phones at the same level as 45-year-olds. Another finding was that people understand digital technology better when they are 14 or 15.
According to Dr. Arthur Cassidy, a social media psychologist, technology is changing the way people communicate with each other. He warned that we are becoming more and more anti-social and we are moving away from face-to-face conversations because of technology. He added that people are now saturated with digital technology and are becoming psychologically dependent on their smart phones.
Dr. Cassidy linked the increasing cases of Internet and social media addiction among youngsters with problems in mental and physical development. Perhaps we should think of recreational screen time as a form of consumption in the same way that we think of sugar, hours of sun, ... – measured in units of hours per day.
I. READING COMPREHENSION
1.- Are the following statements TRUE or FALSE? Copy the evidence from the text. No marks are given for only TRUE or FALSE. (Puntuación máxima: 2 puntos)
a) An expert said that we are having more in-person conversations now than we used to in the past.
b) Dr. Cassidy believes that the overuse of technology by young people only damages their brain.
2.- In your own words and based on the ideas in the text, answer the following questions. Do not copy from the text. (Puntuación máxima: 2 puntos)
- a) Why do British people make more use of technology nowadays? PAR.1
- b) What are the research findings regarding children and teenagers? PAR.2
II. USE OF ENGLISH3.- Find the words in the text that mean: (Puntuación máxima: 1 punto)
- a) nearly (paragraph 1): almost
- b) discovery (paragraph 2): finding
- c) due to (paragraph 3): because of
- d) associated (paragraph 4): linked
4.- Complete the following sentences. Use the appropriate form of the word in brackets when given. (Puntuación máxima: 2 puntos)
- a) She uses her computer, which is in her living room, to keep in touch with her family.
- b) People couldn't communicate (not communicate) so easily if the Internet didn't exist (not exist).
- c) After getting (get) home, she found out that her son had been using (use) the PlayStation while she was out.
- d) Complete the following sentence to report what was said.
- They shouldn’t have sent the report off for printing yet.
III. WRITING5.- Write about 100 to 150 words on the following topic. (Puntuación máxima: 3 puntos)
- What differences do you find between the use of technology by teenagers and by adults?