|(c) Platon Antoniou|
Read the text and the instructions to the questions very carefully. Answer all the questions in English
1. Write a summary of the text in English, including the most important points, using your own words whenever possible (Approximately 50 words, 1 point).
2. Find words or phrases in the text that correspond in meaning to the following (1 point: 0.25 each)
- a) care for
- b) intensive
- c) participated
- d) asking for
3. Complete the second sentence of each pair so that it has the same meaning as the first one (2 points: 0.5 points each)
- a) Michelle Obama was brought up in Chicago in a one-bedroom apartment. Michelle Obama was brought up in Chicago in an apartment which …….
- b) The family read and played games together. The family not only ………………….
- c) Their parents were not well off, but both children were brought up with an emphasis on education. Although ……….
- d) Michelle took various accelerated courses. She then went on to attend a special high school for gifted children. After …..
4. Answer the following questions in your own words, as far as possible. Your answer must be based on the information given in the text. (2 points: 1 point each).
a) Michelle‟s parents were not well off. What evidence is there in the text that indicates this?
b) What was special about Michelle Obama‟s upbringing?
WRITING5. Write a short biography of someone who is important to you. (Approximately 120 words; 3 points).
1. Michelle Obama‟s family was not rich, but it was closely united. It was also very interested in education, so Michelle became an excellent student, graduating from Princeton University and Harvard before she met Obama during her first job as a lawyer at the firm Sidley Austin.
b) The family not only read together, but they also played games/ The family not only read, but they also played games together.
c) Although their parents were not well off, both children were brought up with an emphasis on education.
4. a) That they lived in a very small apartment, and that Michelle and her brother had to sleep in the living room, separated only by a curtain.