The people who were at Lewes Harbor (Delaware, USA) on the evening of August 17 got lucky because there and then $10,000 dropped from the sky. A helicopter flew above the marina for around five minutes dropping $50, $20, $10 and $5 bills on the amazed and appreciative crowd.
Anthony Guzzetti, a bartender at the marina, said he sprinted for the cash with about 50 other people. It was so strange that he thought: “Is this happening?” Guzzetti said he collected about $100. He also said he saw people swimming to grab notes that had landed in the water. Waiter Mark Tappan said, “I was eating chicken wings and watching money fall from the clouds”.
Lewes police said they were aware of the planned event and had sent an officer to the area to make sure there was no fighting. However, there was no dispute or arguing, and some people were fortunate enough to leave with as much as $700.
This bizarre act of kindness came courtesy of a Lewes resident, Leonard Maull, who had died the year before. His lawyer made sure the plan he had written into his will was carried out accordingly: exactly on the first anniversary of his death, the money should be dropped from a helicopter flying over the marina, which he apparently used to visit at least once a day.
Whatever reason Maull had for his unique gift, it certainly brought excitement to the people in Lewes. Unfortunately, no one got any pictures of the event because they were too busy finding free money – so those who were there had to rely on their storytelling skills to capture the moment.
I. READING COMPREHENSION
ANSWER QUESTIONS 1-3 ACCORDING TO THE INFORMATION GIVEN IN THE TEXT. USE YOUR OWN WORDS.
1. What had the authorities done beforehand?
2. Why did the cash-rain take place on August 17, 2013?
- [This bizarre act of kindness came courtesy of a Lewes resident, Leonard Maull, who had died the year before. His lawyer made sure the plan he had written into his will was carried out accordingly: exactly on the first anniversary of his death, the money should be dropped from a helicopter flying over the marina... (lines 9-11)]
3. Why might Maull have chosen that particular place?
ARE THESE STATEMENTS TRUE OR FALSE? JUSTIFY YOUR ANSWERS WITH THE PRECISE WORDS OR PHRASES FROM THE TEXT, OR USE YOUR OWN WORDS.
4. People even got into the sea to find cash.
5. Some witnesses recorded this incredible event.
II. USE OF ENGLISH
6. FIND IN THE TEXT A SYNONYM FOR: “present” (noun).
7. GIVE A NOUN WITH THE SAME ROOT AS “fly” (verb).
8. FILL IN THE GAP WITH THE CORRECT OPTION: (of/ with/ from/ to)
- The plane suddenly ran out of fuel.
9. FIND IN THE TEXT THE WORD WHICH HAS THE FOLLOWING DEFINITION:
“A large number of people gathered or considered together.”
10. GIVE A QUESTION FOR THE UNDERLINED WORDS:
“He sprinted for the cash with about 50 other people”.
11. REWRITE THE FOLLOWING SENTENCE WITHOUT CHANGING ITS MEANING. BEGIN AS INDICATED:
“It’s possible that he hid some of the money”.
12. USE THE WORDS IN THE BOXES TO MAKE A MEANINGFUL SENTENCE. USE ALL AND ONLY THE WORDS IN THE BOXES WITHOUT CHANGING THEIR FORM.
WAIT TO FOR IT IS THE USELESS BUS
13. TURN THE FOLLOWING SENTENCE INTO THE ACTIVE VOICE:
It is believed that Leonard Maull was crazy.