set up a donation page and asked people to donate £3 each for her fundraiser.
“I was touched by such a kind gesture from a man who faces prejudice every day. He has been homeless for 7 months through no fault of his own and needs to get back on his feet but cannot get work due to having no permanent place to live. So that’s when I decided to change Robbie’s life and help him,” Dominique explains on her donation page.
The campaign has received global attention and has become very popular by spreading rapidly on social media. Since the fundraising page was set up, it has frequently reported technical difficulties due to an unusually high number of visitors. Many have tweeted their support, including Ian Brown of the Stone Roses.
Dominique says the money will be used to find a home for Robbie and help other homeless people in the city. In fact, with Robbie’s agreement, she wants to help as many people without shelter as she can. Robbie has already suggested some local charities within Preston who have helped not only him but others throughout their adversity.
“The next few days will be spent carefully deciding where to donate the money and how it can be used in the most efficient way to benefit the homeless community within Preston,” she says on her Facebook page.
I.-Answer questions 1-4 according to the information given in the text.
WRITE COMPLETE SENTENCES USING YOUR OWN WORDS WHENEVER POSSIBLE.
DO NOT COPY FROM THE TEXT (4 marks)
1. Why did Robbie offer Dominique his money?
- Robbie offered Dominique his money because it was late at night andshe didn’t have any money to get home safely. (p.1)
- Dominique stared her campaign because she wanted to help Robbie find a place to live and therefore change his life. (p.1+2)
- Apart from helping Robbie, with the collected money Dominique wants to help as many homeless people in Preston as possible. (p.4)
II.-Are these statements True or False?
Justify your answers based on information from the text, rewriting the original sentences in your own words or quoting properly. (2 marks)
1. Few people have found out about the campaign through social networking websites.
- This statement is false. According to the text, “the campaign has received global attention and become very popular by spreading rapidly on social media.” (p.3)
- This sentence is true because the text states, “with Robbie’s agreement, she [Dominique] wants to help as many people without shelter as she can.” (p.4)
III.- Find the words or expressions in the text that mean (1 mark)
IV.-Write a composition of about 130 words on one of these topics. Specify your option. (3 marks)
1. “A portion of our tax money already goes to social aid. We shouldn't have to give more as individuals in addition to what we already pay in taxes.” Do you agree or disagree? Write an opinion essay to state your view on this topic.
2. Write a narrative essay about an experience that changed your life.