Most mountaineers will probably tell you that they climb mountains because of the challenge. But Rob the Rubbish climbs mountains to collect the rubbish.
Robin Kevan, aged 63, was horrified by the litter in the streets of his hometown, Llanwrtyd Wells in Wales. However, instead of complaining, he started to pick up the rubbish and most days filled a large plastic sack, or bin bag, by breakfast. One day, his wife wrote “Rob the Rubbish” on his jacket, and the name stuck.
In November 2005, Rob heard about the litter on Ben Nevis, the United Kingdom’s highest mountain. In a two-day visit, he filled six bin bags with rubbish. Wearing his yellow jacket and two pairs of gloves (because, he explains, you never know what you may encounter in other people’s rubbish), he has since climbed other mountains in the UK. He finds paper wrappers, plastic bags, soft drinks cans and bottles. These are the worst, because glass takes a million years to degrade.
Rob believes that tackling the problem of rubbish involves the re-education of a whole generation. Until then, he wants to do what he can to help restore the purity of natural beauty spots. In addition, his self-imposed task brings him other advantages: a healthy outdoor hobby, a sense of purpose and a feeling of satisfaction.
As a result of the publicity he had received, in autumn 2006 Rob climbed Mt Everest to collect rubbish from the base camp. Now he wants to visit Mt Kilimanjaro in east Africa. Rob hopes that he is raising awareness of the litter problem with his work. So, the next time you go hiking, make sure you don’t leave your rubbish behind.
I. READING COMPREHENSIONCHOOSE AND WRITE THE CORRECT OPTION
1) Rob wears two pairs of gloves when collecting rubbish...
- a) to protect his hands from rubbish.
- b) to protect his hands from the cold.
- c) because he doesn't know who or what he will encounter.
- d) because the mountain rocks are sharp.
- a) It gives him something to do.
- b) It makes him feel satisfied.
- c) He earns money from it.
- d) It's good for his physical health.
ANSWER QUESTIONS 1-2 ACCORDING TO THE INFORMATION GIVEN IN THE TEXT. USE YOUR OWN WORDS.
1) In what ways does Rob benefit personally by collecting rubbish?
ARE THESE STATEMENTS TRUE OR FALSE? JUSTIFY YOUR ANSWERS WITH WORDS OR PHRASES FROM THE TEXT.
3) Rob climbs mountains because it’s challenging.
II. USE OF ENGLISH
7) Find in the text a synonym for BIG (adjective).
“bring back to an original state” (verb).
- I was shocked to hear about the rubbish on Mt Everest.
- pick up
Rob finds all kinds of rubbish on mountains in the UK.
In 2006, Rob climbed Mt Everest. He collected rubbish from the base camp there.
Many mountaineers climb mountains because the mountains present a challenge.
- The mountains present a challenge, so / therefore many mountaineers climb them.
In a two-day visit, Rob filled six bin bags with rubbish.
- If I saw rubbish in my street, I would collect it.
III. PRODUCTION18) Write a composition of approximately 120 words about the topic proposed. You must focus strictly on it.
- What do you think can be done to help reduce litter in your region?