Inside the family there is a historical tradition ignoring violence. Abuse by a male relative is the most general form of violence against women. This abuse is directed at women who are wives or partners, and who are classified by society as male property.
According to a survey, between one quarter and one third of women from different countries report physical abuse within their families, and even more report emotional or psychological abuse. This is a large number, especially when one considers that many incidences of domestic violence are often silenced.
For women, there is a greater risk for violence in the home than anywhere else. Both physical violence and intimidation result in health problems. By repeated violations of their physical and mental autonomy, basic human rights are taken away from women.
Domestic violence against women must be perceived as a global problem rather than a private matter. It must receive appropriate attention from the international community as an issue affecting women’s health and their ability to participate fully in society.
I. READING COMPREHENSION
ANSWER QUESTIONS 1-2 ACCORDING TO THE INFORMATION GIVEN IN THE TEXT. USE YOUR OWN WORDS.
1. Is there violence inside the family? Why?
- Yes, there is. Because there are cases in which women suffer from physical and emotional abuses at home.
2. Why must the international community pay attention to violence against women?
- Because violence against women is an important problem which has bad consequences: it affects women’s health and it makes difficult to participate in society.
ARE THESE STATEMENTS TRUE OR FALSE? JUSTIFY YOUR ANSWERS WITH WORDS OR PHRASES FROM THE TEXT.
3. Less than one quarter of women report having been physically abused.
- False. “Between one quarter and one third of women from different countries report physical abuse within their families, and even more report emotional or psychological abuse”
4. Public opinion is not informed of all cases of domestic violence.
- True. “This is a large number, especially when one considers that many incidences of domestic violence are often silenced”
5. Women are mainly abused at work.
6. Women suffering intimidation may have health problems.
II. USE OF ENGLISH
7. Give an adjective with the same root as HEALTH (noun) (line 8).
8. Which word does not have the same meaning?
- INVESTIGATE - EXAMINE - PERCEIVE - SURVEY
9. Find in the text a word meaning:
- “a danger, something that may have a bad result” (noun): Incidence
10. Find in the text one opposite for PUBLIC (adjective).
11. Turn the following sentence into the passive voice:
The international community is not paying enough attention to this issue.
12. Join the following sentences using an appropriate linker (do not use AND or BUT). Make changes if necessary:
Domestic violence is a global problem. It must receive more attention from the community.
- Domestic violence is a global problem which must receive more attention from the community.
- Domestic violence, which is a global problem, must receive more attention from the community.
- Domestic violence, which must receive more attention from the community, is a global problem.
13. Fill in the gap with a correct preposition:
- My cousin is very good at golf but he practises many other sports.
14. Use the words in the boxes to make a meaningful sentence:
SOLVE DIFFICULT SOCIAL ARE EXTREMELY PROBLEMS TO