Mystery surrounded a woman in long black clothes who was seen walking alone across America for months. She barely spoke and she didn´t say why she was walking. “Nobody knows her story. She won't talk to anybody”, some investigators said. There have been all kinds of speculation about her: Was she on a religious mission? Was she from an Islamic nation? Was she a ghost, a prophet, or was she mentally ill? According to those who followed her on her journey, she refused any offers of water, food or accommodation.
She was a lonely figure who voiced her desire that people would mind their own business and respect her solitude. However, the remarkable curiosity she excited brought the opposite effect: she rose to fame with a Facebook page created by fans and followers, where her travels were documented and photos of her along her journey were posted daily. The page, which has accumulated nearly 60,000 fans, was full of messages of support, inspiration and admiration.
Eventually, the woman in black told the police she had reached her final destination when she arrived at Winchester, Virginia. It was there and then that the woman in black's true story emerged: Elizabeth Poles, a widow and veteran of the US military, had been walking home for the past two months, back to where her father raised her in Winchester. “The Winchester Police Department wants local residents to know that she will be part of the community now and to respect her privacy if you see her in the area,” a police spokesman said. To the surprise of those who expected that the story had to do with spirituality… the mystery is over.
I * READING COMPREHENSION
CHOOSE AND WRITE THE CORRECT OPTION (A, B, C or D). (0.5 points each)
1. It‟s been suggested that the lady in black could be…
- (a) a runner.
- (b) a fool. X
- (c) a tourist.
- (d) a spy.
2. During her journey, the lady in black expressed her wish…
- (a) to be left alone. X
- (b) to support herself through the generosity of others.
- (c) to fulfill her religious goal.
- (d) to be followed by others in her journey.
3. In the end, it turned out that all she wanted with her continuous walking was…
- (a) to go back home to her husband.
- (b) to inspire others.
- (c) to share her spiritual journey.
- (d) to go back to the home of her childhood. X
ARE THESE STATEMENTS TRUE OR FALSE? JUSTIFY YOUR ANSWERS WITH THE PRECISE WORDS OR PHRASES FROM THE TEXT.
4. The woman in black was a very talkative person.
- FALSE: “She barely spoke and she didn´t say why she was walking. / She won't talk to anybody” (line 2).
5. The true story and identity of the lady in black came to light during the course of her journey.
- FALSE: “… her final destination when she arrived at Winchester, Virginia. It was there and then that the woman in black's remarkable story emerged” (lines 11-12) .
6. The woman in black wants to return to anonymity in Winchester.
- TRUE: “The Winchester Police Department wants local residents to know that she will be part of the community now and to respect her privacy” (lines 14-15).
II * USE OF ENGLISH
7. FIND IN THE TEXT THE WORD WHICH HAS THE FOLLOWING MEANING “a place where people can stay or live”.
8. FILL IN THE GAP WITH THE CORRECT OPTION:
- “People waited for the government … explain the situation”. for / and / that / to
9. GIVE ONE SYNONYM FOR “nearly” (adverb) AS IT IS USED IN THE TEXT (LINE 9).
10. GIVE AN ADJECTIVE WITH THE SAME ROOT AS “respect” (verb).
11. FILL IN THE GAP WITH A CORRECT FORM OF THE VERB IN BRACKETS:
“I wish you … (come) to the party tomorrow.”
12. GIVE ONE OPPOSITE FOR “refuse” (verb) AS IT IS USED IN THE TEXT (LINE 5).
13. JOIN THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES USING A RELATIVE. MAKE CHANGES IF NECESSARY: “My daughters saw the lady. She had walked all across the country.”
14. GIVE A QUESTION FOR THE UNDERLINED WORDS:
“She came from an American state.”
15. TURN THE FOLLOWING SENTENCE INTO THE ACTIVE VOICE:
“A Facebook page was created by fans to track her travels.”
16. TURN THE FOLLOWING SENTENCE INTO REPORTED SPEECH:
“She may be a Muslim because she covers her body and head with long clothes”, people thought.
17. COMPLETE THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONAL SENTENCE:
“If people knew the ending of the movie, …”
III * PRODUCTION
18. WRITE A COMPOSITION OF APPROXIMATELY 120 WORDS ABOUT THE TOPIC PROPOSED AND FOCUS STRICTLY ON IT: Social networks like Facebook are important in today‟s world. Discuss.