A Dutch teenager has invented a device that could clean up some 20 billion tonnes of plastic waste from the world's oceans. Boyan Slat, a nineteen-year-old engineering student, was worried about the amount of plastic rubbish that accumulates on the surface of some sea areas, so he came up with the idea of a series of floating barriers and processing platforms designed to collect floating plastic rubbish, while allowing fish and plankton to pass through undamaged. An additional advantage of the system is that the plastic waste collected by these barriers would be stored so that it can be later recycled.
Millions of tonnes of plastic waste are littering oceans and tend to accumulate in specific areas due to sea currents. This litter not only kills millions of aquatic animals annually but also introduces and spreads harmful algae and invasive species. Besides, plastic waste also contains pollutants that can enter the human food chain through fish. The existing methods for cleaning sea water are not very useful and they cost governments and organisations millions of dollars every year.
Boyan Slat believes that humans must drastically reduce their use of plastic items in the near future, but meanwhile his innovation could make a big difference to the cleanliness of oceans in the shorter-term. He thinks that, once operational, his device could dramatically reduce the amount of rubbish in the oceans in just about five years’ time.
Boyan Slat has offered his design to environmental companies and agencies and has already received offers to start producing experimental models of his platforms by the end of this year.
I. READING COMPREHENSIONANSWER QUESTIONS 1-3 ACCORDING TO THE INFORMATION GIVEN IN THE TEXT. USE YOUR OWN WORDS.
1. What will Boyan Slat’s design be useful for?
ARE THESE STATEMENTS TRUE OR FALSE? JUSTIFY YOUR ANSWERS WITH THE PRECISE WORDS OR PHRASES FROM THE TEXT, OR USE YOUR OWN WORDS.
4. Bayon Slat’s system doesn’t harm marine life.
II. USE OF ENGLISH6. FIND IN THE TEXT ONE OPPOSITE FOR “sinking” (adjective).
- “litter / stink / waste / rubbish.”
“a good or useful quality that something has.”
Boyan has invented a very special device.
11. JOIN THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES USING A RELATIVE. MAKE CHANGES IF NECESSARY
The seas are polluted with plastic rubbish. Humans produce that plastic rubbish.
- The seas are polluted with plastic rubbish which/that humans produce.
- Humans produce the plastic rubbish with which the seas are polluted.
12. TURN THE FOLLOWING SENTENCE INTO REPORTED SPEECH:Boyan Slat said: “I am going to earn a lot of money with this device”.
- “If humans produced less plastic rubbish, our planet would be much cleaner.”.
III. PRODUCTION14. WRITE A COMPOSITION OF APPROXIMATELY 120 WORDS ABOUT THE TOPIC PROPOSED AND FOCUS STRICTLY ON IT:
- How can we contribute to preserve the environment?