It is said that "living together or being married" is what everybody wants, the perfect state for humans. We can make our relationship last longer following some recommendations: common courtesy plays a big role in happy marriages. People who are permanently married are polite to one another. They don't want to hurt one another's feelings, and they don't try to make the other one feel humiliated. People who are married for life are extremely kind to one another.
Arguments are a natural part of any relationship, but cruelty is not. Above all, happily married partners see each other as allies, not as adversaries. You can't be right all the time and married at the same time. If you're always trying to be right and proving your partner is wrong, you've stepped outside the marriage.
To go without sex is to endanger the relationship. If you go without sex, your instincts recognize this person as part of the family but cease to recognize the person as a sex partner. It used to work in the ninth grade. But it doesn't work in the ninth decade.
The great thing about sex is that it ceases to be great, and it becomes funny as time passes but it is always something good and brings us happiness. Humour is vital, but it is vital to be happy, too. A happy marriage is a marriage between two happy people.
You're not going to be in love all the time, but if you want to recapture that magic from when you were in love, be caring. Being loving to your partner makes you feel so good about yourself, it doesn't matter if you're in love or not. The marriage is making you feel good if you are loving in it.
1. Comprehension exercises
1.a. According to the text
- To have a happy marriage one or two of the partners have to be happy.
- If you want to finish with a marriage try to be always right while your partner is always wrong.
- If you want to be in love forever be caring and loving.
1.b. According to the text
- Politeness and kindness are a must to be married for life.
- Having a long lasting successful relationship doesn't include marriage.
- Not having sex cannot put a marriage in danger.
1.c. When sex is not labelled as "great" is becomes funny. (Answer "True" or "False" AND write the sentence supporting this idea)
1.d. Being cruel and seeing your partner as an adversary is something natural within a relationship. (Answer "True" or "False" AND write the sentence supporting this idea)
- FALSE: Arguments are a natural part of any relationship, but cruelty is not. Above all, happily married partners see each other as allies, not as adversaries.
2. Do the following grammar exercises according to the instructions given
2.a. Finish the second sentence so that it has a similar meaning to the first one
People accept Christmas is one of the happiest times of year.
2.b. Write the second sentence in Reported Speech using "refuse"
My son said: "I won't do it".
2.c. Fill in the blank with the suitable modal verb ( can't, should, must, might)
- Those boys look identical, they must be twins.
2.d. Write the appropriate verb form of the phrasal verbs in brackets
3. Identify ONLY FOUR words from their definitions
- Discussions in which reasons are advanced for and against some preposition or proposal: arguments
- Gone out usually for a short period of time: stepped outside
- Put in a difficult situation, disadvantageous: endangered
- Inborn pattern of behaviour often responsive to specific stimuli: instinct
- To take something back: to recapture
- Showing regard for others in manners, speech, behaviour: polite