Now another image which could show the same ghost has been presented to psychologist Richard Wiseman, who has been running the study. It was taken 30 years ago by Grace Lamb, during a family trip to the castle. It is a picture of her husband and their children but in the background appears to be some kind of apparition. "I have been getting a picture of a ghost every ten minutes since I launched the study. Most of them are nonsense, but a few are interesting", Professor Wiseman said.
Experts admit that these two images don’t seem to have been digitally altered. The face, however, may be just another visitor; and it was also suggested the image could have been caused by light reflection off the stone walls of the castle.
FOLLOWING THE INSTRUCTIONS, ANSWER QUESTIONS A, B, C.
A. Answer the following question using your own words. (10 to 20 words)
Why has a ghost been believed to inhabit Tantallon Castle?
- Because it appears that paranormal researchers have photographed someone dressed in medieval style as part of an experimental investigation.
B. Is the following statement true or false? Indicate the line(s) in the text supporting your choice.
Experts are sure that the pictures have been digitally altered.
- FALSE: Experts admit that these two images don't seem to have been digitally altered. (lines 14 & 15)
C. Choose a, b or c in each question below. Only one choice is correct.
C1. Professor Wiseman…
- a) is a psychologist.
- b) says he does not believe in ghosts.
- c) is married to Grace Lamb.
- a) by Grace Lamb.
- b) by a very famous photographer.
- c) in the spring of 2010.
- a) are made of stone.
- b) are covered with mysterious faces.
- c) can’t reflect the light.
COMPLETE TASKS a, b, c, d ACCORDING TO THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN.
a) Combine into one sentence containing a relative clause:
“Richard Wiseman is running this research on the paranormal. I don’t trust his methods.”
“The face in the picture may be just another visitor.”
Begin with: “Skeptics conjectured that…”
“The image appeared to show a figure in medieval costume.”
Find one word in the text for each of the following meanings:
- a) ignorant or not conscious of something: unaware (line 5)
- b) something that is absurd or contrary to good sense: nonsense (line 13)