Truth be told, this is the closest I've ever got to a college graduation. Actually, when I was seventeen I went to such an expensive college that all of my working-class parents' savings were being spent on my college tuition. After six months I decided to stop taking the classes that didn't interest me and began attending the ones that looked far more interesting. It wasn't all romantic. I didn't have a dorm room, so I slept on the floor in friends' rooms and I returned Coke bottles for the five-cent deposits to buy food with.
About a year ago, I was diagnosed with cancer. Having lived through it, I can now say this to you: no one wants to die, even people who want to go to Heaven don't want to die to get there, and yet, death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because death is very likely the single best invention of life. It's life's change agent; it clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now, the new is you. But someday, not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it's quite true. Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma, which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions silence your own inner voice, heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.
I. READING COMPREHENSION
ANSWER QUESTIONS 1-3 ACCORDING TO THE INFORMATION GIVEN IN THE TEXT. USE YOUR OWN WORDS.
1. Did Steve Jobs belong to a rich family? Explain.
2. What was Steve Jobs’ decision after having attended classes for six months?
3. Why is death necessary according to Jobs?
- Because it is what make everything change in life; it allows the new things arrive, and makes the old go away.
ARE THESE STATEMENTS TRUE OR FALSE? JUSTIFY YOUR ANSWERS WITH THE PRECISE WORDS OR PHRASES FROM THE TEXT, OR USE YOUR OWN WORDS.
4. According to Jobs, students have as much time as they want to make their dreams come true.
5. Jobs advises students to rely on their own opinions.
II. USE OF ENGLISH
6. FIND IN THE TEXT ONE SYNONYM FOR “in fact”.
7. GIVE A NOUN WITH THE SAME ROOT AS “long” (adjective).
8. FIND IN THE TEXT THE WORD WHICH HAS THE FOLLOWING DEFINITION:
“a returnable sum of money to cover any possible loss or damage.”
9. FILL IN THE GAP WITH THE CORRECT PREPOSITION: (to / at / with / in)
- Steve Jobs was good at computer studies.
10. TURN THE FOLLOWING SENTENCE INTO REPORTED SPEECH:
“Steve, be careful with that knife,” Linda said.
11. JOIN THE FOLLOWING SENTENCES USING AN APPROPRIATE LINKER (DO NOT USE AND, BUT OR BECAUSE). MAKE CHANGES IF NECESSARY:
Our time is limited. We can do wonderful things.
12. GIVE A QUESTION FOR THE UNDERLINED WORDS:
Steve Jobs died on October 5th, 2011.
13. REWRITE THE SENTENCE WITHOUT CHANGING ITS MEANING. BEGIN AS INDICATED:
I can’t buy the new iPad. I don’t have enough money.+EXÁMENES RESUELTOS